Join our trustee board: Treasurer
Want to be part of the leading membership charity championing comms professionals and practices across the charity sector?
Keen to help make an active contribution by helping us deliver impact to hundreds of charities, big and small, individuals and agencies specialising in the third sector?
We need your skills and expertise to join us as Treasurer, not just to keep the charity on the straight and narrow, but also to help us grow our influence and reach, by ensuring we run efficiently.
We have ambition and a great team and trustee board, are you the missing piece we’ve been looking for?
The role of the treasurer is to support the board to oversee all aspects of financial planning and management, and to make recommendations to the board in relation to CharityComms finances. It should be noted that having a treasurer role as part of the board structure does not absolve other board members from their financial responsibilities.
CharityComms has a professional and highly competent Head of Finance and Operations. The focus of the Treasurer role is governance and to act as a sounding board for senior staff.
Please note: Increasing our diversity across all levels of the organisation is important to us, so we would encourage applications form all ages and backgrounds.
The treasurer is responsible for:
- Liaising with relevant staff about financial matters to ensure information to the board is comprehensive and clear, including regular management accounts, budget reports and cash flow forecasts
- Ensuring the development and presentation of budgets, accounts and financial statements meet the required standards
- Providing assurance that appropriate financial systems and controls are in place
- Supporting the board to ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- Advising on the financial implications of strategic and operational plans
- Ensuring that proper financial records are kept
- Ensuring that board members are aware of their financial responsibilities and are capable of fulfilling them
- Taking the lead on the appointment and oversight of auditors
- To be instrumental in the development and implementation of financial, reserves and investment policies
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Senior level general financial experience in either a commercial or not-for-profit setting.
- Direct experience of strategic financial planning and future-modelling.
- Demonstrable ability to convey financial matters to non-financial experts and where necessary coach them, so that trustees and senior staff are able to make appropriately informed decisions.
- Demonstrable ability to actively scrutinise and make clear recommendations based on complex management accounts or longer-term budgets.
- Transparent, honest and diligent.
- Demonstrable ability to challenge constructively whilst respecting skills and experience of colleagues.
- Sufficient knowledge of investment markets and options to advise the board on appropriate investment of reserves.
- Willingness and ability to commit sufficient time to attend Quarterly finance committee and board meetings.
- Direct experience of organisational governance, either as trustee, committee member or senior staff member directly engaged with trustee boards.
- Specific experience of membership organisations or professional or trade bodies, either as member, staff member or governor.
- Experience of both commercial and charitable organisations.
The Treasurer will be expected to declare any conflict of interest affecting board responsibilities and discussions both on appointment and prior to the relevant board meeting.
The position is not paid, but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
Please supply the following information by email to email@example.com
1. A supporting statement which outlines:
- What motivated you to put yourself forward for this CharityComms trustee role (300 words max)
- What qualities and experience you will bring to this role (300 words max)
- What is your vision for CharityComms going forward (300 words max)
- Any other information you think is relevant to your suitability for this role (200 max)
2. Your up to date CV.