This event is now fully booked. To be added to the waiting list, please email Sarah Cutress.
This first meeting of the Social Media Network will explore all things Facebook.
We’ll kick off with a main session on Facebook Donate, followed by breakout discussions on Pages vs Groups, newsfeed changes and breaking out of your social media supporter bubble, and ending with plans for the next meeting and networking.
The main discussion
Facebook Donate offers huge potential to change how charities use digital to fundraise but also throws up challenges around data, income processing and internal resource. We’ll begin with an intro from Marie Faulkner, senior social media manager at Marie Curie on her experience of using Donate along with the opportunities, challenges and what the future may hold. Marie’s talk will be followed by facilitator-led group discussions on the topic. Here are some questions to consider for the discussions:
- Is it worth it?
- Should charities bother with Donate if it has to be attributed to anonymous income?
- If it means spending on advertising, should we just use our own sites so we can capture the data we need?
- What are the benefits of using the donate button? Aside from birthday fundraisers which are getting a lot of Facebook-backed promotion for the larger charities, where are the successes?
- What level of stewardship can you provide on fundraisers’ pages?
- How can you thank people for their donation?
- Some legal teams find Donate to be GDPR compliant while others don’t. Why is there a discrepancy and how can we reach a consensus?
- How can we integrate it with our CRM systems?
- Internal teams and resource
- How can we become more agile to make the most of this opportunity?
- How can you resource this new fundraising platform and work with fundraising?
- How can you overcome the limitations of the reporting and reconcile with your finance team that the income is anonymous?
- Working with Facebook
- How can we persuade Facebook to improve its product offering(s) for charities, and make them more flexible and compliant?
After the discussions around Facebook Donate, we’ll have breakout discussions where you’ll get to choose from the following topics:
- Pages vs Groups
- How are you managing these Groups?
- Do you use any third-party tools?
- Are Groups the future of engagement on Facebook without having to pay to reach people? Or will these spaces become monetised eventually too?
- Newsfeed changes
- How badly have you been affected by the changes?
- How have you responded to the changes?
- Are you deprioritising broadcast?
- Breaking out of your social media supporter bubble
- How else could you do this other than using Paid?
- How can you use influencers to reach new audiences?
About the Social Media Network
This networking group looks to address a gap for strategic and professional development of social media leads working in charities and not-for-profit organisations.
Each meeting will offer a safe space for members to chat about working in charity social media, with the focus of discussions on strategy-led topics. This is a space to learn together and share best practice, challenges, successes and inspiration with your peers.
Attending the Social Media Network events is free and exclusive to CharityComms organisational and individual members.
These events are for professionals who have strategic social media as the core function of their role working in charities.
To be added to the Social Media Network mailing list please email Harri.