Head of digital
Director of corporate communications/marketing
Web editor; production officer; social media officer; web editor
The head of digital is responsible for the strategic planning, management and development of our corporate website and digital media channels.
The website is the first port of call for many people approaching us. The head of digital oversees the development of the main website as well as associated web platforms; our presence on social media sites and the production of videos and podcasts for use on the website and in the field.
- Responsible for creating and implementing a dynamic organisation-wide digital communications strategy supporting our corporate objectives and ensuring our mission, message and brand are used professionally and effectively across the internet, from the main website and sub-sites through to third party websites.
- Oversee the redesign/new information architecture of the website to ensure that stakeholders can find what they want easily and that content is dynamic and engaging.
- Work closely with service delivery teams on the implementation of the online service delivery, ensuring these services are a focal point of the main website.
- Devise and commission analytical reports about the website that can be used to inform our development of the website.
- Understand the needs of different audience types and plan content that meets their needs.
- Ensure the strategic and tactical use of social media to manage our key messaging, enhance our reputation and to respond quickly and decisively to counter any inaccurate or potentially damaging comments.
- Analyse, measure and report on social media activity.
- Oversee video and podcast production, identifying need and the most effective usage and ensuring those in the field have access to current and positive material via the appropriate channels.
- Analyse and interpret data from Google Analytics, and communicate results to the wider team. This involves designing queries, running reports, understanding the limitations of the data, spotting trends and explaining them in an easily understandable manner.
- Evaluate, introduce and test new technologies and channels as they become available or relevant to communications objectives.
- Keep up to date with current web trends and developments and ensure we remain timely and current in our use of digital media.
- Project manage other web/digital initiatives when they arise.
- Guide the work of the production officer, web editor, web officer and social media officer to ensure they work effectively and professionally in their respective roles and have the right tools to carry out their duties.
- Work with IT to develop extranet capability and roll it out to users.
- Oversee expansion and improvements to intranet usage across the organisation.
- Communicate with all levels of staff throughout the charity. This can involve championing the digital strategy with senior stakeholders, presenting concepts to senior audiences or representing the director of marketing/communications at internal and external meetings.
- Be an active member of the leadership team, participating in meetings and supporting colleagues.
- Be responsible for the assigned budget with monthly budget meetings with the director to ensure that expenditures are within the allowable limits.
- To work in accordance with the Data Protection Act (1998) and to ensure all new systems are reported to the data protection officer.
- Any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the post and its grading as requested by the director.