Freelance media trainer and communications consultant Lisa Mangan wants us to try new things
As Einstein once said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So my challenge to anyone reading this is try doing things differently. Here are some ideas:
- Swap press teams for a day with a non-competitor charity. Task each team with a few actions and see what they come up with.
- Brainstorm the worst possible things you could do as a charity and use these as inspiration for the best. Include non-comms staff; their brains are unburdened by the reality of what is and is not possible.
- Give a member of the team a media day where they spend it reading, watching and listening to a complete mix of titles and programmes. DON’T ask them to work whilst doing it. DO ask them to come back armed with ideas.
- Go window shopping once a month. Pick a random charity from the JustGiving database and note down any good ideas you could copy.
- Check out what charities with similar aims in other countries are doing. And not just in the US.
- Switch off your laptop and iPhone on a long journey and gaze out the window. The brain is at its best when allowed to roam a little.
- And never be afraid to question why. It’s amazing how often our reason for doing things is "because we always have". Which reminds me, as Einstein once said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So my challenge to anyone reading this is.