Need to create a social media policy for your charity but don’t know where to start?
Use our template, based on policies from across the charity sector. Guide your staff on social media, whether they’re promoting your charity’s work or publishing in a personal capacity. Simply adapt the relevant parts of the template to fit your organisation and update the branding.
Tips for using this template
- In a world where tweets and Facebook posts can lead to criminal lawsuits, having a crystal clear social media policy for staff is crucial for any charity. Ensure yours is watertight by running it by all the crucial stakeholders, and, if possible, a legal expert
- Have you carefully read and adapted every section to your organisation’s needs? Every organisation is unique in the way they use social media, so you’ll need to tailor every last area to fit your requirements
- Make sure all your staff have read it – whether it’s the most junior volunteer or senior trustee, their social media actions could be the difference between a successful campaign and a ruined reputation for a charity
- Check out what other organisations do: you can see social media policies at over 300 organisations here
- Read through our #CharityCommsSocialMediaGuide. See page nine in particular for more on social media policies
- We’re eager to keep improving the quality of our resources, so if you have any feedback on the template, please let us know in the comments below.
This template was created by Kellie Smith. Thanks to the TUC, Catch22, SEPA, Sustrans and Parkinson’s, all of whom submitted their social media policies to help us come up with this template.
Most importantly, thanks to all our members for making this possible. We’re only able to offer this template for free because of the support of our members. If you’d like to see more template documents like this, and benefit from free events, peer support and knowledge sharing, get in touch with Sarah to find out more about becoming a CharityComms member.
Help us make more template documents
We’re expanding the range of documents we have available and we need your help to create more. If you have ideas for other templates we might create, please let us know in the comments below or email Christine with your ideas. Even better, send us examples of the documents you use, so we can create a template version for everyone.